THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!
GROW COMMUNITY GARDENS &
GARDEN STEPS CONFERENCE
Hopefully you were able to participate in this "virtual conference" on Friday, May 15, 2020. This was an interactive conference which provided information and inspiration in 3 key areas. It was recorded on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otJZ1utgbG8.
These are 3 essential areas important to the health of our community and to the success of community gardening.
HEALTH - presenters will inform on the impact of community gardening/food systems on the health of our community:
- Dr. Ayesha Johnson, Hillsborough County Department of Health
- Monica Petrella, Hillsborough County Food System Coordinator
- Session 1: Health 9:00 to 10:30am -
- facilitator: Renee Wallace, public health USF.
- Karen Elizabeth, Plant City Commons Community Garden
- Ardell O'Neal, Mustard Seed Community Garden, Lutz
- Session 2: Resources 10:45am to 12:15pm -
- facilitator: Susan Webb, regional extension agent for UF/IFAS Extension, community/school gardens
POLICY - presenters will share key policy issues that impact community gardening
- Lena Young Green, lifelong community activist, legislative aide for local representatives for 20 years
- Michele Ogilvie, Executive Planner for the Hillsborough Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Del DeChant, professor of Religious Studies, USF; member of the Florida Food Policy Council executive board
- Session 3: Policy 2:00 to 3:30 pm. -
- facilitator: Toni Young, USF College of Global Sustainability
Coalition of Community Gardens - Tampa Bay
The Coalition of Community Gardens is a network of gardens and partners who support and share knowledge and resources; build infrastructure to grow gardens; and advocate for public policies to improve health through community gardening in Florida.
There are Community Gardens all over the West Central Florida area. We invite all community gardens to be a part of this coalition whose mission is to:
support the success of community gardening.